4.20.2012

T-Minus 10...

I’m packing up my gear and it’s hitting me. That sense of bewilderment that makes you hesitate to go is provoked by that quiver of innocent anticipation. I’m getting a little emotional and these last few hours at home seem very real and precious. I don’t want to sleep them away but I know I need rest. But first a quick post on the bloggy blog. 
I just want to say thanks to all my family and friends who are supporting me on my travels. Without your love and encouragement I don’t know that I could do this. Most of all I want to thank my seriously amazing parents. When I tell others about my adventures the most common question I get asked is, “How do your parents feels about this?” They are always surprised when I tell them that my parents are extremely supportive, and I find that odd. Why wouldn’t you support your kid for what they are passionate about, whatever it may be? That’s like being disappointed if your kid makes the track team. I mean c’mon, those kids are hurling themselves like 20 feet into the air with a pole, and running full speed purposefully towards barriers deliberately placed in front of them to see if they can jump over or crash face first. There is potential for serious injury there, no? People see this sport and most others as acceptable and healthy, and children are often encouraged to participate, which is great! But going for a really, really long bike ride or hiking up a mountain or sailing on the ocean is no different. There are risks associated with everything we do; feeling that fear, running off that adrenaline, and accomplishing a goal you worked hard for are all more satisfying when you know you’ve conquered that uncertainty too. That’s what makes it fun. 
But not only do my parents support me emotionally, they go that extra step beyond hoping I make it and do everything they can to make themselves involved. My mom, for example cycling that first 500 miles with me last summer and my step-dad sagging for us with gear, food, and encouragement, was not a request on my part. They offered. It was my mom’s idea! Just like it was her idea to take me skydiving one day (I told you, seriously amazing.) And then without hesitation they welcomed me back home when I needed to transition between travels and waited patiently for months for me to figure out my next move. Not every kid would be supported like this, and at age 26, most people would probably not want to temporarily move back in with their parents. But I love living back at home and I try not to take advantage, I contribute to the household. This however, this pattern of traveling and then transitioning at home and then traveling again needs to stop. I can’t just come back home all willy-nilly when I run out of money or something scary happens. 
My next move (that Mom and Jack have waited so patiently for) has now arrived. Tomorrow I leave for a long bike ride to Colorado. My dad is stepping in this time (again, his suggestion) and he’s giving me a 260 mile head start with a father-daughter mini road trip in his classic 66 Chevy Pickup Camper Set. He said I could pick any place to drive to within 300 miles from home, so I chose the tiny town of Lebanon, KS, because it’s the exact geographical center of the United States. I thought it’d be fun to start my ride from there, which makes it about an 800 mile ride to Creede, CO. It’s really nice to begin each trip with a generous send off from each of my parents. But this time my departure feels different, and I think it’s because I know that after my summer job at the dude ranch is over, I’m not coming back home. This traveling thing needs to either be a permanent lifestyle, or I need to settle down somewhere on my own. Since I prefer to take my chances nomadically (at least that’s how I envision myself) I’m thinking about heading south from CO in October to avoid the winter on my bike. I’ll have to learn to do the transitioning while I’m transitioning. 
So, not to boast about how freakishly righteous my parents are, but I just have to express my everlasting and sincere appreciation for everything they’ve taught me, and for giving me space to develop and grow into who I am with constant encouragement and support. You don’t get to pick your parents, so I just feel super lucky to have the ones that I do. So again, many thanks. 
If you are reading this and are not one of my parents, this was probably really boring for you. Sorry about that. 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete