4.18.2012

Going Uphill

It took four trips over the last week to the bike shop but my bike is now merely an extension of my body, and it feels so good. Like getting excited to climb another hill, good. Like BRING ON THE MOUNTAINS good- I know, crazy. But it's reassuring knowing that I'm now technically correctly placed on my bike. I've always loved riding, but today on my ride home from the bike shop with all the tweaks complete, it was a whole new experience. And I'm getting really amped for this ride to Colorado.

The new handlebars are two sizes narrower than the old ones, making my arms parallel with each other and spreading my shoulder blades apart as they should be. This should dramatically reduce the tension in my upper back and make it easier to relax. It also helps relieve my wrists of sitting in that crooked shape on top of the bar, and hopefully the ulnar nerve won't be kinked anymore. The longer stem helps me feel less crowded while riding, giving my core further extension while making my whole body slightly more aerodynamic. I rode a day with the shifting set to the friction setting before getting them replaced and I have to say I prefer it. Friction shifting is much quieter and less jumpy during gear changes, but I went ahead a got the new shifters and cables anyways since they needed to be replaced. So with those now installed I can switch between the two methods as I please. And the gears that were well worn and skipping are now accessible. And lastly, with my seat shifted forward a bit it's easier to push through with my quads rather than through my heals, thus making climbs noticeably easier and dare I say enjoyable.

My friend Ryan likes hills. He helped me and my Mom train last spring for our summer tour and during our training rides he'd take us over every hill possible from point A to B. He also rode quite a bit faster than us so he would glide up the hills with ease, turn around passing us on his way down, and ride back up as many times as he could squeeze in until we made it to the top. Or sometimes he'd zig-zag up the hill to add twice the distance, just for kicks. Maybe it's because he lives on Summit Street (coincidence?) and it's grade is like 17% on all sides and so he's had a lot of practice. One time after and 80 mile training ride he made us ride that 17%, half mile hill all the way to the top where his house was. Again, this was at the end of the ride. My Mom refused, we were already exhausted, but I had to try. I was delirious when I crested the hill, my lungs felt like they were ripping through my skin for air, and I'm amazed I didn't throw up. We never did that again, but he does it all the time. He probably rides up that hill to celebrate things.

I thought he was crazy, but now I think I get it. He also made riding look really easy. Like he was putting forth zero effort, but easily exceeding 20 mph. My Mom on the other hand, made it look agonizing but she insisted she was comfortable. I think it all has to do with your cadence and what muscles you use for momentum. Ryan's cadence is very fast with less resistance, while my Mom prefers to ride at a slower cadence in a lower gear. She's like a freaking rocket down hill though, I tell ya. I used to ride somewhere in the middle I think, because I know I used my calves a lot. But now the motion of pedaling feels more natural, almost like someone's pushing down on my knees for me. It's awesome, and I've noticed my cadence is a little faster without trying any harder. Maybe one day I'll make it look as easy as Ryan does! Maybe one day, when I grow up to be a real cyclist.

You want to see another guy who makes riding look way too easy? Check out The Man Who Lived on His Bike, here:

https://vimeo.com/35927275

I wonder if he got arrested for being naked. I wonder if he's single.

And if you want to be inspired to conquer your own hills, check out my Mom's blog about weight loss and living healthier each year:

http://notdownhill.blogspot.com/

Way to go, Momma!

No comments:

Post a Comment