7.24.2010

who am I, Superwoman?

You may be curious as to how I’m actually thinking that I can fabricate this thing. I have been lucky enough to meet some pretty amazing people here in Rhode Island. Among them is a local artisan/master craftsman who has been kind enough to take me under his wing as his apprentice. He has been teaching me his trade and supplying me with mental and physical tools for life. Thankfully, he is just as excited about this idea as I am, and we are building it together. Though I can hold my own in a tool shed, I couldn't do this without some serious help.

Since May 9th I have devoted a sketchbook to hold all of my brain’s thoughts, visions and research for my camper. So this blog is basically a refined form of that. Page one of the sketchbook is a jumble of camper design thumbnails and of course a list! My hand couldn’t scribble out the words fast enough, my mind was racing so! The following is a tame version of this list that I made of wants for the camper:

fold out bed
kitchenette
storage space
windows
door
canopy
electricity/outlets
removable sunroof (emergency exit)
pump sink
drain
solar panel
clothes line
single burner stove
toilet
shower
music/speakers
cooler
coffee pot
fold out table & chair
hot water
a kite
curtains

The master craftsman (let’s just call him MC) and I also collaborated a list of things to take into account when designing it:

balance
tracking
weight
parking brake
harvesting energy
battery
windage
ease of building & repair
safety
keeping elements out
ventilation
generator hub
simplicity
efficiency

Off to the drawing board!

No comments:

Post a Comment