8.24.2010

overall design

My first thoughts for the functionality of the camper were that it needs to be extremely compact, and then fold out to optimize maximum space. It will have a similar idea for the bed as those pop-up campers you see floating about. It will be made almost entirely out of aluminum with the exception of the tent-like material that will fold out for the roof of the bed. Obviously the goal is for it to be as lightweight as possible.

The camper will be split into sections: a bed area, kitchenette, tool/supply storage, food storage, and some sort of water tank area. Looking back on my sketch book I was very optimistic about how much space I thought I might have. These (extremely rough) sketches are how I first envisioned the interior looking like:




This is way over the top, too tall, too long, and not aerodynamic whatsoever. I don’t know what I was thinking when I drew this, but all ideas need refinement and this is no exception:



It didn’t have the look I was going for at all and resembled a horse trailer, which was not my intention.

I am a sucker for everything vintage, and I am really drawn to the whole vibe from the 40’s, 50’s and 60’s. While brainstorming the overall look and feel of the camper, I looked at some teardrop trailers and classic cars and such for inspiration:






Also, I love circles and all things curvy, and curves will aid in the camper being more aerodynamic as well. Here are some shapes I thought about. It’s also important to think about how I’m going to get into the thing. After toying with the idea of a side door, I think the hatchback style makes the most sense, as when it folds up it will also provide the canopy that I will need for shade.




I should point out that at this point I was convinced a tricycle was the way to go.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I love these thoughts and watching you in your designing thought process. Keep up the idea, don't let it go!!!!

    ReplyDelete