8.24.2010

what's in a name?

Like any respectable boat, my sweet little home must have a name. It took some time, but after much thought I have come up with one, well, more like I stumbled upon it. While reading the book The Songlines, by Bruce Chatwin, I read the term “horizon-struck wanderer,” and that stuck! I feel that term is very fitting for me, and my trailer. So she will be HSW for short. It’s kind of amazing how perfect that name is actually. The whole theme of the camper is based on a circle, (or the sun) with half circles for the windows (or a sun rising over the horizon). I will forever be riding into the horizon, and guess when my favorite time to ride is anyway? Dawn! It’s just perfect. And to top it all off with a little backstory, I got a tattoo when I was 17 (my Dad signed for it) of get this, a sun rising over the ocean in a beautiful sunrise! It’s just fate I suppose. HSW and I were destined to be together. Thanks Chatwin.

I tried coming up with synonyms to Horizon-Struck Wanderer, as to not steal Chatwin’s exact word usage. I conjured up things like Bounds-Walloped Roamer, Ambit-Driven Peddler, Spread Dawn on It (random but I kinda like this one), Gamut-Daunted Bum, and Dawn-Daunted Drifter, to name a few. None of them had quite the same ring as HSW though.

Of course, I plan on making a decal for HSW, much like you would find on a classic automobile. I will have it cast out of aluminum and mounted either on the back or on each side. It’s pretty fun coming up with the design for the decal, here are a few options. I’m really into the whole art nouveau thing so I was trying to channel that:



No comments:

Post a Comment