8.24.2010

mock-up!!!!

I built a second life-size model of the latest design. MC lent me some cardboard and extra thin, bendable ply wood to construct it from. This is just a model of the skin of the camper, only to see if the sizing is right and to get an idea of how it will look in 3D form.

From the drawing in the sketchbook, I measured and redrew the shape of the side pieces onto the plywood. MC let me use his jigsaw to cut out the pieces, which was great because it would have taken forever with a utility knife!




Then back at home I measured and cut out all the shapes for the drawers and windows and cut a piece for the floor and bottom of the storage area. I also cut a piece for the wheel well shape, and added a little fold out step piece to provide extra seat space under the canopy. I also cut one long piece of the bendable cardboard for the roof, and folded it where the hinge would be for the hatchback. Once I had all the pieces cut, I started to tape it together. Easier said than done!








Once the sides and bottom were assembled, I made the storage drawers and kitchenette compartments and slid them in. The roof was added and TADA, I was done! It took me about one and a half weeks I think to get it together, just working on it in my spare time.






It is so exciting to see it take shape! I want so badly to crawl inside it, but it’s only cardboard and it would definitely collapse even if a kitten were to jump inside it. Well, maybe not a kitten but you know what I’m saying.

MC sent the pictures and design plans off to his friend Rob the welder to give him an idea of what we will be doing. Rob will probably do most of the welding, as I know welding aluminum isn’t easy, but I will be as much a part of it as I can. Yeah, I’m a girl, but I know my way around a tool box. I am going to construct every part of this thing possible and with help from MC and Rob the welder there’s nothing that can’t be done. I’ll rivet the whole damn thing together if I have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment